Monday, December 22, 2008

My Favorite Books of 2008 - Part 1

Nationals 2007, Dallas, Texas. I had no idea who J.R. Ward was until a friend of mine mentioned that she was sitting right behind us at the Rita and Golden Heart Awards Ceremony. I met her briefly after the ceremony and she was funny and nice, so when I got home I decided to check out her books. Thank you God! Zsadist is the ulitmate hero, but I read his book in 2007, so I can't count that as one of my favorite books of 2008 (though it is one of my favorite books of all time). Lover Enshrined is J.R. Ward's latest release in her Black Dagger Brotherhood series, and though I wanted to see more of the hero and heroine, you just can't find writing like Ward's anywhere else. She's a master storyteller. Her books are food for the soul ~ seriously. In Lover Enshrined I found myself fascinated with how far Ward went with Quinn and, as some reader's call it, the 'gay' scene. Now, I'm not much into m/m novels, and this scene I'm writing about didn't have anything beyond that of a kiss, but it was so moving and tender that I almost wished she had gone a little farther. Yes, I wanted it to go farther and I wondered where that wish came from. It was her writing and the depth of emotion she portrayed through her characters. Waiting for her books to come out is painful.


Joey W. Hill is a writer who doesn't give a damn about 'the rules.' Her female vamp will do what she wants, who she wants, how she wants, and then for shits and giggles she'll piss in your Cheerios. Love it!! Underneath that shell she does what's right, and loves without holding back. To hell with the hero, I was in love with the heroine! The writing is exciting and fresh, with none of the terrible cliches we find so often (admit it, cliches abound in romance novels...hell, I might have more than one cliche in my own books). Joey W. Hill will surprise you every time. The Mark of the Vampire Queen is a must if you like paranormals. It's hot...super hot! And when you read these sex scenes it won't remind you of a thousand others you have read. Again I'll use the word fresh. I'm pretty sure Joey colored outside of the lines when she was a kid, and I thank her for it.




Haha, suckas!!! Here is where I get to brag a little. This book won't be coming out until April 2009!! How did I get an advanced copy you ask? Never you mind...oh alright. Sylvia was giving out a few at Nationals in San Fran this year. This urban fantasy will kick you mother-livin ass! The tag line - you're going to love this...


Cursed by God, hunted by demons, desired by Cain and Abel... All in a day's work.


This book is hot, unpredictable, and the series is going to rock the shelves this summer. I'm thinking I'm going to have to wait for the other two books, Eve of of Destruction and Eve of Chaos, because Sylvia hasn't been offering any more of her goodies to me. *sniff* Wait...that didn't sound right. Oh, whatever. On to the next book...



I've been loving the Sookie series for years now, and unless you've been living under a rock, then you know the series is now on HBO. It's called True Blood. It's up for two Golden Globe nominations! In Definitely Dead the reader is let on to a little bitty secret that shatters poor Sookie (toward the end of the book so I can't give it away). In all honesty I think some of the new aspects to the books - Godmothers and Fairies - take it a little too far (just how many paranormal beings can one book have?), yet I still eat these books up like candy. Harris is one of my auto-buys, and I can't miss any True Blood episodes! Unfortunately the season is over, and I have to wait until this summer to see more True Blood (I think Sylvia and HBO are trying to drive me nuts). Just a little tempter to watch the show...here's the actor who plays vampire Bill...



Here's a historical for you. You won't see many of these on my fav books of 2008, but His Woman was really awesome. As you can see from my very loooonnnngg post below, this book reminded me of the historicals I used to cherish. There's action, suspense, danger - everything you want in a historical romance. I had the chance to talk with Diana on the phone yesterday (she did give me her new number!! Bwaaahaahaa) and she has some new twists and turns in store for her readers. Hell no I'm not going to tell you what they are. (She didn't let me in on all the secrets, but I'll give you a hint: if you read His Woman and pay close attention, you might pick up on...yeah right. You have to read the book.) Thought I was gonna spill the beans, didn't you? As if.
And that's all for today. I'll have a few more of my fav's of 2008 tomorrow.
Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment